Monday, August 31, 2015

Blog Post 1

I do believe that computers are becomings a crucial part of education. They allow students to access a plethora of information, whether it be current events or how to solve homework problems. Computers are now used in everyday life so it is critical that students learn how to use them at a young age. The concerns that could be raised about the use of technology at a young age are vast. For one, it could create problems with social skills in real life situations. It could also create a dependency on computers in order to complete everyday functions such as writing and reading. While I do agree that technology is a vital tool in our society, I do not believe it to be one of the most important components of education. I still believe that the human interaction and hands on experiences enable children to learn more than by simply watching a screen.

I believe I will use computers in a number of ways in my classroom. I will use them to take attendace and award points to students for good behavior. I hope to let the students interact with computers in order to understand the concepts better themselves. I might try to upload homework onto a database that is easily accessible for my students and that will also enable them to answer the questions online in one space, if they are able to access the technology to do so. I will probably get several teaching ideas from the internet and also find advice from others who have taught before me. I hope that this class teaches me resources that will enable me to use the internet to my advantage.

I do agree that there are a select number of individuals who are digital natives today. In order to be one, one must have grown up using the teachnology and integrating it into their everyday lives. I have most certainly witnessed the difference between myself and my teachers who are not digital natives. It can sometimes create a frustration in the classroom when all of the kids know how to use technology, but the teacher struggles with how to navigate it and also understand its capabilities. I believe my students will be even more advanced than myself in technology as it is continually progressing. I'm assuming one day I will be the one struggling to understand because of how advanced we continue to get with it.

1 comment:

  1. Nice job, Victoria! Excellent point about dependency for reading and writing. Teachers must be very focused on creating a balance in their classroom. I also agree that the social/emotional component of the classroom is very important. Great work!

    ReplyDelete