Saturday, October 31, 2015

Blog Post 8

I believe open content is the best tool for educators. It allows teachers to draw from outside resources to come up with new ideas. It also creates a new level of information and resources. Not only can teachers get lesson plans online, but their students can access information also. If a student needs to write a report or do a project, they can use the internet for ideas of to access new information. This form of advancement opens up new doors with endless possibilities for adapting and learning.

Another form of technology that could be huge for students is the use of social media. With this tool, students can access homework and lesson plans in the blink of an eye. They can easily collaborate with students, such as if they get stuck on a problem or need to do group work. If they need to get ahold of their teachers, they can use things like twitter to instantly message them and get a faster response. Social media makes communicating with others much easier and more efficient.

I am on the side of the people who have readily available technology. I have many different technologies at home as well as WiFi. I grew up with it all around me, especially since my dad's whole job is centered around it. The divide will affect how my students are able to access information and complete assignments. The best way I can think to cope with this is to find alternative ways for students who don't have access at home to get the same opportunities as those who do. For instance, if a student does not have the internet to submit a homework assignment, I could print out a physical copy for them to complete. I could also try to find ways for students to use the computers in the school as much as possible so that they won't have to use them as much when they get home.

1 comment:

  1. Excellent post, Victoria. You have some great ideas about how to cope with the digital divide.

    ReplyDelete